Oh Puppy it’s cold outside…winter dog care
Winter’s cold, dry air and icy rain can affect your dog’s health in various ways such as cracked or chapped paws and itching or flaky skin – here are Lucky’s TOP FIVE TIPS for taking care of your furry friends during the colder months:
- Towel dry your pet as soon as he comes inside, paying special attention to his feet and in between the toes –this will help prevent dry skin and cracked or chapped paws & nose. Remember to check these areas for cracks or redness.
- Try to bath your dog as seldom as possible during winter – if you must bath him use a moisturizing shampoo and try to dry him as much as possible before letting him go outside.
- Short haired pups will really benefit from wearing a dog jersey or sweater during winter look for one with a high collar that covers from the base of the tail to the belly.
- Feed your dog a little more during the winter season – he will be burning more energy to stay warm. Make sure there is always fresh water available to drink – this aids in moisturizing the skin and will prevent your pooch from becoming dehydrated.
- If the weather’s too cold for you, it’s too cold for your pup! Keep your doggy indoors during winter – particularly at night when the temperature drops dramatically. If you have no option but to leave your dog outside during the day, please ensure that he has a warm, dry shelter that is elevated off the ground and protected from the wind and rain.